Runners Who Read

Who knew? A bunch of runners who enjoy reading and discussing what they read.

Friday, May 13, 2005

What I've been reading...

I'm so impressed and feeling a little unworthy, the only thing I've read lately are essays by 17 year olds. The essays aren't intended to be fiction, but certainly some of these have taken great license with history. Perhaps it is historical fiction, I mean did you know that North Korea is in Western Europe? Neither did I.

I'm wondering how people feel about revisiting books they have already read and enjoyed. I'm sure some of us have read some of the same works and I personally have a few that I wouldn't mind reading again and discussing our memories of the book and how our perceptions have changed. For example, Confederacy of Dunces. There was a time when I judged people based on their thoughts on this book. I haven't read it in at least 10 years.

Kim

3 Comments:

Blogger Nels Nelson said...

On could do worse than to use opinions on Confederacy of Dunces as a measure of humankind. Lyra and I came near to giving our son Ignatius as a middle name. Don't laugh! Well, sure, laugh. He was close to being named Tristram Ignatius Nelson, after the heroes of two great comic novels, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy and C.o.D.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Yay! Kim made it!

I hate to admit this, but I've never read Confederacy of Dunces. And me being from the south and all.

I have re-read Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy at several points in my life since junior high ... when I was younger, I identified closely with Aragorn and imagined being him -- that whole Dashing Hero thing.

Now I'm inclined to sympathize a lot closer with Gollum. In fact, in many ways I now think of LOTR as Gollum's story instead of Frodo's.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Kim, given that I dress, eat and fart like Mr. Ignatius O'Rielly, I'm curious how you would judge me?

Paul

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home