Runners Who Read

Who knew? A bunch of runners who enjoy reading and discussing what they read.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

RWR Reader's Choice Ballot: Third Quarter 2005

Without further messing about, here are the nominations for our first RWR Reader’s Choice, listed in no particular order (I think it’s more or less the order in which I received them). Thanks very much for sending me your nominations; it’s an impressive and eclectic list. We’re a pretty darn well-read bunch of people, if I say so myself! And you can still send your nomination, if you haven't already done so -- please send it by Monday, June 13 and I'll add it to the list. Like a kid at Christmas, I just couldn't wait any longer to post them.

I embedded links to each book’s page on Amazon – not that I’m necessarily enamored with Amazon, but it does seem the most convenient way to get a lot of information about a book quickly. I’m always open to alternate sources. And sorry, but I didn't include the short blurb a couple of you wrote to introduce the book -- most people didn't write one, so I decided to dispense with the intros.

So anyway:

1. Vote for your two favorites and send your votes to me via eb_write@yahoo.com. Both votes are weighted equally.
2. Vote by Friday, June 24.
3. On June 28, I’ll post the first RWR Reader’s Choice; we’ll read and discuss it together during July-September.
4. If you just plain can’t stand any of the nominated selections, wait three months – we’ll do this again.
5. It should go without saying given this very civil bunch of folks, but please refrain from commenting negatively on any of the nominations, at least in this blog.

And thanks so much again – I wasn’t familiar with several of the authors and they sound very worthwhile. This should be fun!

Choke (Chuck Palahniuk)
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Lionel Shriver)
The Quiet American (Graham Greene)
Honeymoon With My Brother (Franz Wisner)
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (Chris Moore)
The Autograph Man (Zadie Smith)
Mrs. Caliban (Rachel Ingalls)
The Namesake (Jumpa Lahiri)
Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
The Second Coming (Walker Percy)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonas said...

They all seem worthy reads. I will trust in the judgement of the group. Feed me something interesting!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Nels Nelson said...

Hey, did anyone catch anything re. Chuck Palahniuk and the reports of people fainting at his readings.

Here's the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2005/06/07/bochuck07.xml&sSheet=/arts/2005/06/07/ixartright.html

11:04 AM  
Blogger Len said...

I've read a couple of Chuck Books and not fainted yet...he's got a great sense of humor and a wonderful read (and that book wasn't my submission!)

7:55 PM  
Blogger RWR said...

Choose what you will...Although "Lamb...." sounds interesting.

Kim

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home