Runners Who Read

Who knew? A bunch of runners who enjoy reading and discussing what they read.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

RWR Reader's Choice Selection(s!), July-September 2005

Wow! While Honeymoon With My Brother shot out of the gate and looked to be the easy eventual winner, it faded a bit in the stretch … battling with the steadily gaining The Second Coming, which started slowly but pipped Honeymoon at the post in the final flurry of votes. Close on their heels were Mrs. Caliban and We Need to Talk about Kevin, with Angels and Demons and Lamb: The Story of Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal trailing just behind. Most of the other nominated books received at least one vote.

Thanks for all of your nominations; I know I’m personally interested in taking a look at The Namesake, Mrs. Caliban, and Lamb, even though they didn’t “win.” And thanks for voting – more than 80% of our mailing list was represented.

The Second Coming and Honeymoon With My Brother finished very close to each other, and both appear to be very different books – one a breezier, enjoyable summer read (Honeymoon); the other just as enjoyable, but perhaps deeper and more reflective. So, here’s the deal: give our official Reader’s Choice, The Second Coming, a try … and if you either find you don’t like it at all or enjoy it and finish it fairly quickly, go for Honeymoon With My Brother as a double dip. We’ll discuss both right here. Honeymoon does not appear to be available in paperback yet, but perhaps your local library has scored a copy -- or Amazon currently has the hardback for a pretty good discount.

Discussion Guidelines

1. You can post your comments, observations, ruminations, philosophications, or questions whenever you’re ready. Links to good online sources of related discussion material are highly encouraged.

2. If your post or post comment includes plot spoilers, please please oh please indicate it by typing (Spoilers) in the subject line or at the beginning of your comment.

We’ll nominate our selection for October-December 05 sometime in late September, soon after Dances With Dirt.

Ready, set – read!

4 Comments:

Blogger Nels Nelson said...

Excellent choice (meaning of course it was mine).

7:31 AM  
Blogger T said...

I was wondering how long it would take the responsible party to claim credit. Good work.

11:55 AM  
Blogger 2Ls said...

Just ordered my copy from Amazon.com Don't you love it when the shipping costs more than the book?

Meanwhile I picked up a satire "The Asti Spumante Code" for all Dan Browne-o-philes. Laugh-out-loud fun.

5:34 PM  
Blogger k said...

I picked up The Second Coming last night at my local Borders. I wanted to pick up a copy of Honeymoon With My Brother at the same time, but couldn't find it in Travel section, which is where I expected it to be stocked. A quick visit to the store computer says the book is located in the Psychology/Self Help section. WTF?

So I head over to the Self Help section and there are thousands and thousands of self help books: Self Esteem for Dummies, Chicken Soup for the Divorced Soccer Mom, and other incredible titles. After searching unsuccessfully for about five minutes (and feeling like everyone in the store is snickering at me as they walk by) I go back to the computer to look up the author (Franz Wisner) and confirm that it is in stock. Back to the Self Help section for yet another unsuccessful search.

At this point I have two options: ask the high school clerk to help me find Honeymoon With My Brother in the Self Help section (I can hear him telling his friends "Dude, we had this old fart in the store looking for a book about a guy that marries his brother!") or order it from Amazon. Needless to say Jeff Bezos is a little richer today.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home