Runners Who Read

Who knew? A bunch of runners who enjoy reading and discussing what they read.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I'm with Len...

I've been try try trying to read this. I've made it chapter three and were it not for the peer pressure I would have quit reading on page 8. So far I find his writing style and turns of phrase both awkward and redundant. The narrative seems disjointed and I have little desire to know more about any of these characters. It seems that I find myself reading about the same things over and over. For the love! I've got it, something is up and his golf swing is symbolic of it, lets move on...

I'm going to keep reading, but only because everyone seems to have enjoyed it. I'm still waiting for that part.


Kim

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

I think we agree on the narrative ... it's hardly flawless, and some portions do strike me as repetitive. And the plot seems too deliberately jerryrigged at times, just so certain events can be forced to happen.

The main reason I kept reading is Allie -- she made the entire book worthwhile for me; I saw her as a truly unique fictional character. I wasn't that impressed with any other character in the book, including Will. But Allie kept my interest. When she was there, I was completely with her, and when she left, I counted the pages until she returned.

8:40 AM  
Blogger T said...

I'm not sure how I feel about this book yet. That seems odd to say, as I'm halfway through the book. It's certainly not something I would have picked up on my own -- that's for sure. I feel like the prose is supposed to be beautiful, but it's not the style that I usually like so instead I find it slow. I think I'm discovering that I prefer fast-paced, plot-driven novels over eloquent, slow, descriptive ones.

I have a little bit of a problem, and I'm hiding it here in the comments because I'm not sure if I'm being hyper-sensitive or if I missed something. It really bothers me the way that every black character is referred to as "Negro." Their speech also seems to be differentiated to a greater degree than other characters'. There are also a lot of references to jews (I'm typically dense with symbolism and deeper meanings, but I do see how that is intentional). And a lot of jokes, fortunately left unfinished, along the lines of "A jew, a black man, and an Irishman...." I'm figuring this is probably accurate to the geography/period of the novel, but it makes my PC nerves tingle to read.

4:26 PM  
Blogger k said...

OK, now I don't feel so bad. I've stayed away from this site for the last several weeks because I just couldn't get into this book, as least not yet.

Summer is not conducive to reading novels for me, I'd much rather be outside enjoying the warm temps. The few times I have started reading this book, I haven't had enough time to get past the first chapter, and the first chapter is just not grabbing me. So back on the shelf it goes for a few more months.

kent

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home