Runners Who Read

Who knew? A bunch of runners who enjoy reading and discussing what they read.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Man Booker Prize

The shortlist was announced for the Booker Prize...

For some reason, blogger isn't allowing me to hyperlink, so here's the url: http://www.themanbookerprize.com/pressoffice/release.php?r=13

I'm pretty geeky about the Booker Prize; I'm not sure why. I'll pay attention to the American awards but not with anything near to the zeal I have for the Booker. I try to read the whole shortlist every year.

It's weird to me how it can sometimes be pretty difficult to get the books here in the states. I had to buy Vernon God Little in Canada a few years ago because it was so hard to find in the states -- even after it had won. (Maybe because it was terrible and offensive to Americans.) (Satire, I know, I just didn't care for it at all.) Similarly last year's winner, The Line of Beauty, was out in paperback in Egypt as it was coming out in hardcover in the states. Weird!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

The only name I recognize is John Banville, who can't seem to stay off the Booker short list. Having said that, his fiction invariably leaves me cold.

8:25 AM  
Blogger bct said...

Never Let Me Go was a little creepy--as austere as his (Ishiguro's) Remains of the Day but not in the service of a very interesting narrative.
I haven't read the Sebastian Barry book, but I was quite enthralled with his one of his previous books, The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty--sort of an Irish Forrest Gump, only without the sentimentality.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home