Runners Who Read

Who knew? A bunch of runners who enjoy reading and discussing what they read.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

New "Reader's Choice" Selection for Spring 2006

It's The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Edited from the publisher's website:

"Khaled Hosseini's stunning debut novel The Kite Runner follows a young boy, Amir, as he faces the challenges that confront him on the path to manhood—testing friendships, finding love, cheating death, accepting faults, and gaining understanding, while living in Afghanistan in the 1960's. ... Khaled Hosseini was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1965. The son of a diplomat, his family received political asylum in the United States in 1980. He currently lives in California where he is a physician. The Kite Runner is his first novel."

As always, feel free to post discussion questions or comments whenever you're ready. If you're giving away secrets, don't forget to put SPOILERS in the subject line of your post.

I would have been happy with any of the nominations, and I'm looking forward to this one. Enjoy.

Oh, and if you can respond to the post just below, please help -- thanks.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jonas said...

I must confess to suffering pangs of guilt and shame that I didn't vote for Paradise after first reading Nels' pitiful plea.

Here's what I wrote to Ed:

"I'm going to cast my vote for Kite Runner. I've already read Kundera (and enjoyed his work immensely). Truth be told, the entire candidate list seems worthy. My vote simply means I've opted to buy a paperback. I've taken to marking up my books, lately, with dog-ears, highlights and margin scratches galore. I just can't seem to muster the courage to do all that to a hardcover book.

I'll probably read them all eventually.

I'm delighted that people have reappeared. Dave Kleeman's compilation of the Amazon summaries was most appreciated. I think there are a lot of closet readers out there. Pity they don't post. I know I would benefit from their opinions. Sigh."


Sorry, Nels. You'll just have to suck it up and read faster.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Nels Nelson said...

Wha? Huh? Did I or did I not make clear that everyone was to cast a ballot for Paradise?

And Jon...on this day,
how appropriate that I get to say

Et tu
Brute?

8:33 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Roma locuta est. Causa finita est

9:28 AM  
Blogger Nels Nelson said...

Ascendo tuum.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

10:48 AM  
Blogger Nels Nelson said...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060329/ZONES04/603290366/1026

Copy that, it's a link to a piece on some parents' attempt to remove/restrict the book youse guys are reading, if you're interested. If not, then, well, then don't, I guess.

Fucking book banners suck.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Fucking book banners suck.

Right on, brother Nels!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home